ATTORNEY CHRISTAN MORAN'S
TO PRINT RESUME
University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT
Juris Doctor, May 2013
Activities: WLSA – Vice President
LAMBDA - Vice President; Diversity Week 2012, Presenter
Awards: 2013 National Association of Women Lawyers Award
2012 Judicial Scholars Award
2012 CALI Excellence for the Future Award
Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT
Master of Arts, Women’s Studies, May 2008
Graduate Assistantship: Women’s Studies Program, 2007-2008
Honors: Triota; Women’s Studies Honor Society
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Bachelor of Arts, in Law, Societies and Justice
Honors: “Quarterly High” academic honors
Connecticut Judicial Branch
Guardian ad Litem/Attorney for Minor Child, April 2014
Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce
40-Hour Divorce Mediation Workshop, June 2013
Oakley Law Office LLC, Middletown, CT
Associate Attorney, December 2013 – present
Represent children and adults in family and child protection cases.
Oakley & Chizinski, LLC, Middletown, CT
Law Clerk, September 2013 – December 2013
Assisted attorneys with family and juvenile law practice, including legal research and writing, investigation, client counseling, client visits and court appearances.
University of Connecticut School of Law, Mediation Clinic, Hartford, CT
Student Mediator, January 2013 – May 2013
Co-mediated employment discrimination claims brought to the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities.
State of Connecticut, Office of the Attorney General, Waterbury, CT
Legal Intern, September 2012 – April 2013
Represented Connecticut Department of Children and Families in child protection matters including hearings, case status conferences and trial management conferences. Assisted with trial preparation including investigation, witness counseling and strategy. Drafted pleadings and memoranda. Conducted legal research.
LEGAL EXPERIENCE, continued
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, Superior Court for Juvenile Matters, Waterbury, CT
Judicial Intern, May 2012 – August 2012
Assisted Judge M. Nawaz Wahla. Drafted judicial opinions. Conducted legal research. Prepared memoranda analyzing and summarizing juvenile delinquency and child protection matters.
Connecticut Fair Housing Center, Hartford, CT
Legal Intern, May 2011 – August 2011
Drafted pleadings, including motions to dismiss and memoranda in support of motions. Drafted interrogatories. Conducted intake interviews. Conducted legal research. Met with clients. Attended coalition meetings related to foreclosure policy. Accompanied client to court hearing.
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, Family Court Services Center, Hartford, CT
Legal Intern, January 2011 – May 2011
Guided Pro Se litigants in family court proceedings. Assisted with accurate and thorough completion of required documents in divorce and custody matters.
Bogle and Gates, Seattle, WA
Paralegal, 1985 – 1986
Supervised seven legal assistants as part of defense team for client in savings and loan securities actions. Wrote memoranda summarizing and analyzing legal filings and discovery materials.
Allan & Hansen, P.S., Seattle, WA
Paralegal and Legal Investigator, 1984 – 1985
Assisted with trial preparation for civil and criminal cases. Drafted memoranda. Met with clients and interviewed witnesses. Assisted with investigations and document and exhibit organization.
King County Public Defender – Juvenile Division, Seattle, WA
Social Work Intern, 1984 - 1985
Wrote pre-sentencing reports for court. Interviewed and counseled clients. Made referrals to community resources. Worked closely with attorneys and other professionals. Testified in court.
Adjunct Instructor, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, 2008 – 2014.
· Women’s Studies Program, taught a writing-intensive course of my own design, “Representations of Motherhood.” Student taught, “Introduction to Race, Class and Gender.”
· Sociology Department, designed and taught writing-intensive course, “Men’s Studies.”
· J. Philip Smith Award for Outstanding Teaching, nomination, March 2010.
PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS & CONFERENCES
· Co-Moderator, “What’s at Stake – 2012 Election,” – Round Table Discussion, University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, November, 2012.
· Presenter, “Medical Insurance Coverage of Contraception – A Gendered View,” Diversity Week – Round Table Discussion, University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, March 2012.
PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS & CONFERENCES, continued
· Co-Moderator, “Unpacking the Backpack of Privilege,” Diversity Week - Panel Discussion, University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, March 2011.
· Co-Presenter, “Sexual Fluidity and Late-blooming Lesbians,” American Psychological Association Convention, San Diego, CA, August 2010.
· Co-Presenter, “Homebirth as a Feminist Act,” Feminism in Action – Conference on Women and Gender, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, March 2010.
· Steering Committee, 19th Annual Women’s Studies Conference, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, 2009-2010.
· Co-Presenter, “From Straight Wife to Lesbian Life,” Connecticut Psychological Association, Hartford, CT, November 2009.
· Facilitator, Opportunity for Women’s Leadership Program, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, 2009.
· Facilitator, 3rd and 4th Annual Ella Grasso Youth Action Conference, Hartford, CT, 2008-2009.
· Conference Co-Coordinator, “Create Resistance: Feminist Art,” 6th Annual Southern Connecticut State University Women’s Studies Graduate Conference, New Haven, CT, April 2008.
· Paper Presentation, “Mid-life Sexuality Transitions in Women,” Women of Color Symposium, New Haven, CT, March 2008.
· Event Co-Coordinator, “Courageous Conversation,” Film Screening and Town Meeting Discussion on White Privilege, New Haven, CT, February 2008.
· Co-Editor, Woman In Mind, feminist journal, Spring 2008.
· Panelist, “Challenging Conversation: Workshop on White Privilege,” Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, November 2007.
· Book Review: Living Two Lives, by Joanne Fleisher, Lesbian Connection: Vol. 30, Iss. 3, P. 18, November 2007.
· Organizing Committee Member, 5th Annual Southern Connecticut State University Women’s Studies Graduate Conference, New Haven, CT, April 2007.
PERSONAL INFORMATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Homeschooled five children, 1995 – 2005.
· Volunteer activities include: editing homeschool newsletter; coordinating events and classes for homeschoolers; teaching religious education classes; participating in hiking and trail maintenance projects.
OAKLEY LAW OFFICES, LLC
516 Main St
Middletown CT 06457
Tele # 860-342-2302
Fax # 860-342-2304
Attorney Christan Moran